- Soaking Up the St. Thomas Sun
||By Michael Webb
- Think warm thoughts. Thats probably what most of us are doing after a couple
months of winter. When it began getting cold in North Carolina, Athena and I were very
excited about going to St. Thomas.
- St. Thomas is a part of the U.S. Virgin Islands so it is a breeze to vacation
there. No language barriers and you dont have the hassle of converting money if you
bring in dollars.
- This was a place we headed when we didnt want to do much. No major exploring.
Little site seeing. Mostly just relaxing and enjoying the tropical weather.
- We stayed at the Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina which ended up being the ideal
location on the island. We took a 30 minute cab ride from the airport to the resort and
never had to leave. Sapphire Beach is often regarded as one of the 10 best beaches in the
Caribbean. It also has the best snorkeling on the whole island along with Coki Point which
is about 3 miles away. If you want to catch a ferry to neighboring St. Johns it is only ½
- Having the marina right there was a huge plus if you take a sunset cruise or a day
sail which takes you all around the Virgin Islands and stops at a couple of reefs for
swimming and snorkeling. The yacht "True Love" provides gourmet breakfast and
lunch and doesnt pack people on like some of the other boats tend to do.
If you are looking to get warm and unwind, give St. Thomas a try.
Sapphire Beach Resort: 800-524-2090 www.usvi.net/hotel/sapphire