Ultimate Yankee Quiz
With the Yankees out of the excitement and drama of post-season play
this year, and with fans of so many other teams feeling the blues, here
is a bunch of hot stove league brain-teasers to keep all of you in the
1. Who wore No. 7 before Mickey Mantle?
2. Whose number (and what was it) was retired by both the New
York Mets and
3. Who caught Dave Righetti's no-hitter on July 4, 1983?
A. Butch Wynegar B. Cliff Johnson C. Yogi Berra
4. Name the four managers who have piloted both the Yankees and the
5. In 1977, who nicknamed Reggie Jackson "Mr. October"?
A. Willie Randolph B. Thurman Munson C. Goose Gossage D. Mickey
6. Name the player Derek
in 1996 to become the regular shortstop.
A. Andy Fox B. Pat Kelly C. Alvaro Espinoza D. Tony Fernandez
7. What former Yankee was the first pitching coach for the New
York Mets in
A. Joe Page B. Red Ruffing C. Vic Raschi D. Johnny Sain
8. Elston Howard was the first black player on the Yankees in 1955. Who
9. Who did George Steinbrenner buy the Yankees from?
10. Trick question: Which of the following was not a Babe Ruth
A. "Bambino" B. "Wali of Wallop" C. "Rajah of Rap" D. "Caliph of
11. Name the National Football League coaching legend who played briefly
for the Yankees.
A. Tom Landry B. George Halas C. Jim Thorpe D. Curly Lambeau
12. First baseman Wally Pipp has gone down in history for being the
player Lou Gehrig replaced. What other distinction belongs to Pipp?
A. He was a baseball manager. B. He came from the same neighborhood
Gehrig grew up in. C. He was a home run champ. D. He made money
13. Reggie Jackson hit three home runs in Game 6 of the 1977 World
Series against the Los
off a different pitcher. What pitcher gave up Jackson's third home run?
A. Burt Hooton B. Charlie Hough C. Elias Sosa D. Don Sutton
14. Reggie Jackson was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a member of
A. Oakland A's
Angeles Angels of Anaheim
15. What Yankee pitcher has the most World Series victories?
A. David Cone B. Allie Reynolds C. Whitey Ford D. Lefty Gomez
16. In defeating the Oakland A's in the 2001 American League Division
playoffs, what did the Yankees accomplish that no team ever had done
before in a three-of-five-game series?
A. Limited their opponents to a total of two runs
B. Had a perfect fielding percentage
C. Won three straight after losing two games at home
D. Hit at least one home run in every game
17. What Yankees MVP appeared in the fewest games in the year in which
he won the award?
18. Easy one: What was Yogi Berra's given name?
19 . What
uniform number was retired by the Yankees to honor a player who never
was on the team?
Robinson B. Bob Feller C. Dom DiMaggio D. Pee Wee Reese
. Who remains the only Yankee to hit four home runs in one game?
Gehrig B. Reggie Jackson C. Babe Ruth D.Yogi Berra
1. Fourteen other Yankees wore the number in their career, the last two
being Bob Cerv and Cliff Mapes, who wore the number at times during
Mantle's rookie season.
2. Casey Stengel's No. 37 was retired by both the Mets (1965) and
3. A. Butch Wynegar
4. Yogi Berra, Casey Stengel, Joe Torre, Dallas Green
5. B. Thurman Munson
6. D. Tony Fernandez
7. B. Red Ruffing
8. Harry Simpson, 1957
10. Sorry about that. We said it was a trick question—all of the choices
were nicknames for the Babe.
11. B. George "Papa Bear" Halas got into six games for the 1919
12. C. Pipp was an American League home run champion in 1916-17.
13. B. Charlie Hough
14. C. New York Yankees
15. C. Whitey Ford, 10. He started 22 World Series games.
16. C. They won three straight after losing two games at home.
17. Pitcher Spud Chandler appeared in 30 games when he won the American
League award in 1943.
18. Lawrence Peter
19. Jackie Robinson
20. Lou Gehrig.